- Experience famous sites such as the Pima Air & Space Museum, San Xavier del Bac Mission, Sabino Canyon, International Wildlife Museum, Biosphere 2, Kitt Peak Observatory, Tohona Chul Park, Old Tucson Studios, Saguaro National Park, Arizona Sonora Desert Museum, Pima Air Museum, Titan Missile Museum, Colossal Cave.
- Visit a son or daughter at the University of Arizona in Tucson.
- Take a day trip to Nogales, Mexico; Tombstone; Bisbee; Tubac; Green Valley; Wine country.
- Enjoy great birding at our Hacienda del Desierto, in Tucson, and in surrounding areas such as Ramsey Canyon, Madera Canyon, Patagonia, the Chiricahua Mountains, and the San Pedro.
- Hike or bike the many trails that abound in the Tucson area.
Rock Climbing for Guests:
Inner Passage offers guided rock climbing tours that are great for individuals, couples, or families. A great way to experience Mt Lemmon and Tucson, this activity is available year-round.
Tucson Balloon Rides:
Daily flights over Saguaro National Park West including champagne brunch, digital photos, and a flight certificate.
Arizona Sonora Desert Museum:
More of a zoo and botanical garden than a museum but world renowned. The most visited site in Tucson, enjoyed by all ages. Allow 4-5 hours to enjoy. It houses animals and plants of the Sonoran Desert. 1 hour from the Hacienda.
Mission San Xavier del Bac:
Established by 17th century by Spanish missionaries, the mission is known as the “white dove of the desert” and is one of the finest examples of mission architecture in the country. 3/4 hour drive from Hacienda.
Tucson Botanical Gardens:
This beautiful oasis in the heart of Tucson was originally the home of Bernice and Rutger Porter. Dating to the 1920s, the earliest buildings on the property were constructed of adobe bricks made right on site. True to the vision of Mrs. Porter, Tucson Botanical Gardens is a place of beauty, inspiration and education about the natural world.
Tohono Chul Park & Tea Room:
Numerous gardens, quiet grottos, well-groomed trails on this 40-acre preserve. Tea Room is delightful for a patio lunch or afternoon high tea. 45 minutes from Hacienda.
International Wildlife Museum:
A non-profit educational program of Safari Club International with a mission to promote conservation and wildlife appreciation. Exhibits, dioramas, nature films. 3/4 hour drive from Hacienda.
Old Tucson Studios:
Visit a working movie set originally built for the 1939 Western Arizona. This theme park is a recreation of an 1880′s frontier town with period townsfolk. Gun fights, pony rides, stage shows, steam train, gold panning. 1 hour from the Hacienda.
Colossal Cave Mountain Park:
There is a crystal-filled cave once used as a hideout for train robbers and also used by prehistoric peoples. There is also a riding stable in the park. 10 minutes from Hacienda.
Sabino Canyon Recreational Area:
A narrated tram ride will take you up the canyon and you can get on and off to hike, sit by rocky pools or running streams in the Spring, or hike. You can use the tram to ride back or walk the 3.8 mile paved trail. 20 minutes from Hacienda.
You can drive up and stop to hike at various trail heads or just view the valley in cooler weather and stop at a great pie café at the village of Summerhaven. 1 hour from Hacienda.
Saguaro National Park:
East has a beautiful 9 mile loop drive, not 5 minutes from the Hacienda. The West park is 1 hour away.
Pima Air and Space Museum:
The largest privately funded air museum in the world. 10 minutes from the Hacienda.
- Barrio Historico – Take a look at examples of typical Sonoran architecture from the 1800′s to early 1900′s, original, thick-walled adobe homes and businesses, many painted with vibrant colors.
- Old town Artisans – An historic 1850′s adobe complex now housing an entire block of shops and restaurants.
- Downtown Walking Tour – We have a self-guided printed tour guide.
- “El Tiradito” – This street-side shrine is covered with flowers and candles.
- St. Augustine Cathedral – This 1896 building has a sandstone facade modeled after the Cathedral of Queretaro in Mexico.
Day Trips from our Tucson Arizona Inn
- Bisbee – Visit an old mining town with a huge open Lavender Pit Mine, travel into the old Queen Mine as it operated in the early part of the century, lunch at the famous Copper Queen Hotel, and travel the winding streets of the canyon town visiting the quaint shops and Victorian buildings. 2 hours from Tucson.
- Tubac – The oldest town in Arizona, Tubac has a section of the old town to visit, many art galleries, and arts and crafts shops. A shopping mecca 45 minutes from the Hacienda. Old Tumacacori Mission Museum is just minutes from south of Tubac.
- Nogales, Mexico: If you want to hone your bargaining skills for glass, tinware, leather, and other crafts, visit Nogales, Mexico, just 90 minutes from the Hacienda.
- John Slaughter Ranch: Tour this former working western ranch and museum purchased in 1884 by John Slaughter. 2.5 hours from Tucson, east of Douglas.
- Titan Missile Museum – The world’s only ballistic missile museum, formerly belonging to the 571st Strategic Missile Squadron of the 390th Strategic Missile Wing.
- Kitt Peak National Observatory – One of the world’s leading observatory complexes. See the world’s greatest concentration of telescopes for stellar, solar, and planetary research. With reservations, plan an evening star gazing. Also has a visitor center with exhibits. 1 1/2 hours from Hacienda.
- Biosphere II : One of the world’s largest living laboratories. Originally designed as a prototype for space colonization. Now houses research facilities and hands-on science exhibits. 1 hour from Hacienda.
- Tucson Area Birding Riparian Areas and Preserves – Ramsey Canyon (Sierra Vista), San Pedro Riparian National Conservation Area (Sierra Vista), Madera Canyon, Buenas Aires National Wildlife Refuge (Arivaca), Arizona Sonora Desert Museum, Sabino Canyon, Tohono Chul Park, Tucson Botanical Gardens, Patagonia-Sonoita Creek Preserve, Empire-Cienega Resource Conservation Area, Hacienda del Desierto
- Kartchner Caverns – Guided cave tours, Discovery Center, interactive displays, theater with video program and gift shop.
- Purple Mountain Pack Goats – An outfitting business that operates under a Special Use Permit from the United States Forest Service. They guide day hikes, overnight hikes and camping trips in the Coronado National Forest (which covers most of southeastern Arizona).
- Southwest Trekking – Southwest Trekking has experience in taking individuals into the remote areas of Southern Arizona and Mexico, serving more clients than any and all guide services in Southwest.
- Cycle Tucson – Bicycle rentals and tours.
- Saguaro Buttes Wedding and Event Site – Although Hacienda del Desierto doesn’t host weddings, we offer convenient accommodations for wedding guests and secluded, romantic honeymoons. We are only five minutes from Saguaro Buttes, the ideal location for both weddings and receptions.
Check out more Southern Arizona Sites.