These cookies are a guest, and innkeeper, favorite. Rosemary & David steal them from the freezer which makes it difficult for Shanna, our cookie baker, to keep enough for guests.
Ingredients: (Makes18 cookies)
1/2 cup softened salt free butter
3/4 cup sugar
1 large egg
1/2 tsp pure almond extract
1/4 cup ground almonds
1 cup all purpose flour
1 cup chocolate chips
1 cup sliced almonds
1/4 cup half & half or heavy cream
2 tsp light corn syrup
1 cup white chocolate chips
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a medium bowl blend butter and sugar with an electric mixer until mixture forms a greasy paste. Scrape down sides of bowl, then add egg and almond extract. Beat at medium speed until light and fluffy.
2. Add the ground almonds and flour and blend at low speed until combined. Do not overmix. Form dough into 1 inch balls and roll in sliced almonds, coating each ball thoroughly.
3. Place balls on 2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheets. Bake for 15-18 minutes or until cookies are slightly brown along edges. Immediately transfer cookies to a cool surface covered with waxed paper.
4. To make chocolate glaze, scald cream in a small saucepan. Then remove from heat. Stir in chocolate chips and corn syrup. Cover and let stand for 15 minutes. With small wire whisk or wooded spoon, gently mix glaze until smooth being careful not to create bubbles in the chocolate. When cookies are completely cool, drizzle patterns on them with the warm chocolate glaze.
5. Repeat the process with the white chocolate chips.
6. Refrigerate the cookies on the waxed paper until the glaze has set, about 10 minutes.
Tags: Almond Crunch Cookies